If you are considering financial support of Union City education for the first time, the ideas on this page may seem natural and logical. For we veterans who experienced the golden era of the post WW II period, the changes are real and profound.
in case you've missed it thus far. Scroll south or click^
- The stability of 20th Century curricula (Readin', Writin', Arithmetic) is literally a thing of the past.
- The idea that support of education means 4-year college scholarships is far too simplistic.
- Education beyond high school is now a diverse set of alternatives, worthy of consideration.
- The rate of change in technology that affects career opportunity is fast, and accelerating.
- Schools are expected to anticipate AND FUND related investments in tech and infrastructure.
- It is not possible without financial help. It happens too fast for traditional endowed funding.
- While scholarships remain important, "BALANCED" financial support consideres direct curriculum support as a crucial and efficient use of dollars.
- Major donor recognition for either scholarship or curriculum support should be "eternal"
- Step ONE in a major donor plan is dialog about your objectives and the school's needs.
In a nutshell, the mid-20th Century role of support dollars could focus on scholarships in pursuit of 4-year college degrees. Today's demands on public education require a broader view when the goal is excellence of small town public education. Curricula and teaching methods must adapt to rapidly changing technology and related career-prep requirements. Investment is required. Today's state funding formulas are simply not adeqyate to meet the needs.
The 4-year college education remains an important part of many students life journey, but there has been an explosion of alternative paths. If we define our support role as preparing students for the next phase of life, embracing alternative education paths is in tune with the times.
Endowed funds are a common method of providing education support, often in-perpuity with support coming from earned income from the fund. Although well intended, the result has been major dollars tied up for decades while today's schools and students struggle with overwhelming budget challenges.
Education can be viewed as a classic short-term activity. Schools aim at moving students forward, one year at a time, with the overall goal of graduates prepared for life's next stage. In an era of rapid technological advancement, adjustment in curricula and methods is constant.
It is a strategy worthy of consideration to make donations flexible in terms of usage and duration, allowing short-term needs to be addressed by those in the arena; trusting that a future generation of donors will work with the realities of their era.
A scholarship has the worthy purpose of helping one student proceed into the future after leaving high school. Funds invested in teacher projects or curriculum improvement continue to directly impact local education far into the future, including anticipating and responding to rapidly changing needs. "Balanced giving" is another important dialog topic.
It is common that donated funds are recognized in direct relationship to the duration of use of those funds -- one of the reasons that the endowed scholarship sounds appealing to the donor or donor's family. In fact, shorter term projects may have more long-term impact, Examples include curriculum improvements that broaden student opportunity and/or assure that the school is competitive in preparing students for new realities.
Our Legacy Donor recognition will be posted in the school, honored in all event programs and recognized in online listings.
We understand that your gift is both a declaration of commitment and an indication of personal passion. Therefore your choices will be respected and honored, whether traditional or a blend of the possibilities discussed on this page.
Our suggestion is an early discussion about your goals coupled with dialog about the current and projected realities at the school. The overall objective is developing a plan that addresses needs while fully satisfying your desire to make a difference in our home town.